Wednesday 18 February 2015

WISH / IF ONLY (grammar and practice)

I wish, If only.

 Wishes about the present

We use wish with past Tense forms (simple and continuous) to express regret about present situations:
- I wish I was taller = (I’m not very tall)
- I wish I was going with you = (but I'm not)

I wish you were more help. = (you are not) I wish I were can replace I wish I was.
To many people, I wish I were sounds more correct:
I wish I were taller.

We use wish with could to express a wish for a present situation to be different:
 I wish I could use a computer well. (But I can’t)
X I wish I would tell her about it.
I wish I could tell her about it.

Past Simple è presentè I wish I knew the answer. (= I don’t know)
Past Simple èpresent è I wish I was /were better at sports. (= I'm not)
Past Continuousè present è I wish I was /were going with you. (= I'm not)     
Could è present è I wish I could give you an answer. (= I can't)
Would è future è I wish you would be quiet. (= Your talking irritates me.)- Always different subjects-
Past Perfect è past è I wish I had known you then. (= but I didn't)
Could have è pastè I wish I could have explained. (= I wasn't able to)

Wishes about the future

We use wish with would to say how we would like somebody to behave in the future:
X I wish you to stop talking.
/I wish you would stop talking.
X I wish that they will stop arguing.
/I wish they would stop arguing.

• We can also use this pattern in situations that do not involve people:
I wish this car would go faster.

Wishes about the past

We use wish with the Past Perfect when we have regrets about the past:
I wish I hadn't taken your advice. (= but I did)
I wish she could have come. (= but she didn't).

If only

If only can be more emphatic than I wish. The verb forms after if only are the same as the patterns with wish:
If only I had more money! (= but I haven't)
If only I was going on holiday with you!
If only you were here. (= but you’re not)
If only the sun would come out!
If only you could be here! (= but you're not)
If only I'd listened to you! (=but I didn't )
If only he could have explained! (=but he wasn't able to)



A. Complete these sentences with the correct form of the verb in brackets. Some sentences require a negation and use the contractions in the negative form.

Principio del formulario
1. Bruce wishes he ___________(have) more money so he could buy a new sweater.

2. I wish I ___________( (be) taller so that I could be in the basketball team.

3. I wish you ___________( (stop) watching television while I am talking to you.

4. I wish you ___________( (do) that. It annoys me.

5. I wish the holidays ___________( (come) so we could go off to the seaside.

6. Of course Tom wishes he ___________( (come) with us to Paris, but he has to stay here.

7. I wish we ___________( (go) to the match on Saturday but we're visiting my uncle.

8. I wish you ___________( (keep) your mouth shut yesterday. Now Mary knows.

9. If only I ___________( (lose) all my money. Now I'm broke.

10. Peter is always late. If only he ___________( (turn up) on time for a change!


Final del formulario


B. Complete the sentences in such a way that it means the same as the sentence before it.

Example: I haven’t a job at the moment ---- If only/I wish I had a job

   I’m not going to the party --------- If only/I wish I were going to the party

  I married Myrtle instead of Francis -------- If only/I wish I had married Francis

     You won’t ever wait for me -----------If only/I wish you would wait for me

We’ve run out of petrol -------- If only/I wish ...............................................................
I’m taking a test tomorrow -------- If only/I wish
..........................................................
This holiday has been a disaster -------- If only/I wish
...................................................
It’s snowing outside -------- If only/I wish
....................................................................
People at work always shout at me ----- If only/I wish
...................................................
I acted very rudely in front of the headmaster -------- If only/I wish
................................
I don’t know how to ride a bicycle -------- If only/I wish
.................................................
She never listens to me ---------- If only/I wish............................................................
I can’t speak Russian -------- If only/I wish...................................................................
I’m not tall, dark and handsome -------- If only/I wish
...................................................
I was caught robbing a bank -------- If only/I wish
.........................................................
I crashed the car when I was drunk -------- If only/I wish
................................................
She’s making beans again -------- If only/I wish
.............................................................
Stop behaving like that!-------------- If only/I wish
.........................................................
I failed my exam because I didn’t study -------- If only/I wish
............................................
I don’t want to go to school, but I have to -------- If only/I wish
........................................
My girlfriend left me  after we argued -------- If only/I wish
..............................................
I lost a lot of money at cards -------- If only/I wish
..........................................................
Why don’t you ever look at me?--------- If only/I wish
......................................................
I want to go to the Bahamas for a holiday -------- If only/I wish
........................................
I’m sorry I haven’t got more friends -------- If only/I wish
................................................


  1. MIXED TYPES. Complete the missing parts of these sentences. All conditionals are included
 If I ____________ (know) you were coming, I would have bought more food
As long as you drive carefully, I____________ ( lend) my car
I´ll take to you about it tomorrow If you _____________ ( arrive) early
If we had left earlier, we ______________ ( miss) the train
If you don´t light the fire, we________________ ( get) cold
If they _______________ ( explain) how to get there, I would have got lost
Don´t give them anything unless they ______________ ( pay) in cash
She would have won the race easily if she ____________ ( run) faster
You´ll feel much better, if you___________ ( take) an aspirin
If you wrote more letters, your friends______________ ( reply)
If the house______________ ( be) in better condition, I would buy it
Let me know at once if you_______________ ( hear) any news
If you hadn´t stayed behind, they_____________ ( catch) you
You can´t take photographs here unless you____________ ( ask for) permission
I wouldn´t have done it if he______________ ( ask) me to



  1. Put the verbs in brackets in the most suitable form ( use could...etc where appropriate)
  1. If I ___________ ( notice) that you were waiting I __________ ( give) you a lift
  2. I_____________ (go) skiing every year, if I _____________ ( know) how to ski properly
  3. If I____________ ( catch) that plane which crashed, I___________ ( be) dead now!
  4. If we__________ (live) in South America, we___________( speak) Spanish or Portuguese!
  5. I______________( not lose) the Battle of Waterloo if I ____________( be) Napoleon
  6. I____________( give up) smoking, If I ___________(be) you; it´s bad for you
  7. I______________( like) you more if you____________( not laugh) all the time
  8. I_____________( buy) the house before if the price ___________( be) a bit lower
  9. Do you think they___________( like) this party if they ___________( come)?
  10. They____________( not get) lost last night if they____________( see) the road-sign
  11. I_______________( phone) you earlier, if I _____________( find) the right change
  12. If you_____________( not leave) your car there, you___________( not get) this parking ticket
  13. If they______________( be) friendly, we__________( not have) all that trouble
  14. If man _______________( not visit) the moon, the world _____________( be) at all different?


No comments:

Post a Comment